Monday, January 19, 2009

The Bar on Church


The infamous Bar on Castro (BOC), beginning tomorrow, is opening its doors on Church street and subsequently changing its name to the Bar on Church (BOC).

The new BOC is opening on the corner of 14th Street & Church. Previously, this corner was home to The Transfer -- aka a "grey" bar because it caters to gay and straight crowds.

On Saturday I looked inside the new location, while it was under construction, and literally kicked out by one of the construction workers. I told him I was taking photos for a blog (this one...) and he gave me VIP passes that get me in for free until April! What a deal!

My prediction for the BOC: The new location is more isolated than the BOC's gay night life competition, Badlands, and therefore the bar circuit will change. The new location is a stones-throw from the 22 bus line and closer to the 16th and Mission Bart station. The new design of the bar -- with a large dance floor and more open space to meet people --is different from the BOC's previous location and therefore better. (I loved the Bar on Castro, but it was a horrible place to meet people -- unless you were in the smoking room.) Located down the street from Amber and Safeway across the street, something tells me that both the New BOC and the Church street bars close by are going to be bumpin' in 2009!

No comments: