Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's a blimp!

It's hard to miss the 246 foot off-white ship in the sky and even harder to ignore the phone numbers printed in bold black letters. After calling the number, I learned that the company, Airship Ventures, operates under visual flight regulations. Departing out of Oakland and Mountview, twelve people fit on the aircraft and tours run for one hour.
What does it cost to fly in the blimp?
60 minutes in the air
Monday - Thursday = $430
Friday - Sunday = $535
I would never pay this much to fly in a balloon. Perhaps if I was an international tourist, with foreign currency, I would take a tour at $9 a minute. Still, I'm a sucker for hopeless romanticism and the romantic spin you can put on this balloon ride is almost magical. I can see it now: arriving in a private jet, taking a balloon ride of the city, getting dropped-off in Napa, dinner at French Laundry...wait, weren't we talking about a blimp? Oh yea, it's overpriced and should be shot out of the sky. Where are my Texas friends when you need them.

No comments: